Tuesday, August 7, 2007

It All Just Depends on What You Want To Do...


I was over on one of the writers sites I frequent and this question was asked:
For serious writers, does blogging help or hurt a writers work?

This my take on it, for what it's worth.
It has been my experience that blogs can either create or destroy a writer’s works. Not so much the act of blogging but the way it is approached and used.

I have had numerous blogs over the years and have finally settled on what I hope to be a workable solution.

I have opened a series of interrelated blog sites and am seeking co-authors to contribute their works in conjunction with mine. It sure takes the load off of being the only “go to” guy in town. It is slow taking off but that is ok, too. I have realized that the world does not stop turning if I don’t post.

Another thing I did was to set the themes and missions of these blogs to match the types of fiction, nonfiction and poetry I write. This provides me with the triple luxury of being exposed to writing from my contributed works, the works of co-authors and the research I do for these blogs. It gives me neccessary background information for the types of material I write. I’ll leave the rest of the universe to the blogs of others better equipped than me.

I do a fair amount of freelance work and am working on several larger works as well. Anyone who writes knows that everyday is just not a “novel” day or an “essay” day, etc. But the important thing is to write something, even if it is just a simple blog post. It helps keep your pencil sharp while you mull your creative juices over in your head until they are boiling again.

Well, there you have it: the wacky wisdom of a wayward hillbilly. It works for me…well most of the time…sorta, I guess. Well hell, at least I ain't in jail...yet.


Copyright © 2007 Mike Lawson

No comments: